Aside from making you grouchy, stress can damage your body. High levels of stress hormone can damage your brain and your digestive tract. Signs of stress overload include fatigue, insomnia, food cravings, weight gain, muscle & joint pain, anxiety and focus issues, lowered libido and weakened immunity.
Top 10 drugless solutions for stress:
- Eat breakfast every day to maintain steady blood sugar levels through the day.
- Eat protein and fat with every meal or snack to maintain steady blood sugar.
- Get enough omega-3 fatty acids, which are building blocks for your brain.
- Take adrenal gland (stress-handling gland) supporting supplements if needed.
- Prepare for sleep by turning off lights, using an eye mask, and creating a ritual.
- Plan for fun activities; even a 5-minute break can help to re-set your mood.
- Exercise regularly with intensity to decrease stress hormone levels.
- When you talk to yourself, use empowering words: I choose, I will, I can. A daily gratitude journal can help you shift the words you use.
- Perform pattern interruptions – breathe deeply, walk for 5 minutes, or snap a rubber band on your wrist when you feel overwhelmed or anxious.
- Get adjusted to reduce the effects of accumulated stress on your body and brain.
Excess stress affects both muscle tension and nerve function. This creates patterns of distortion in your body and makes you use more energy for normal daily tasks. When you re-set your nervous system through chiropractic adjustments, your life starts to work better because your body and brain are working better.